Thursday, July 28, 2011

Oh Look, a Birthday

Happy Birthday to me.

It's the wee hours of my 34th birthday. I've been dreading this day simply because it's the first time I feel old, or what I presume to be "old." I technically am not old, nor do I look old; in fact, despite some recent weight gain as I've figured out and set out to fix a doozy of a health issue, this is the best I feel in ages. And yet, age has been heavy on my mind.

The weight gain (not the most I've experienced, thankfully, but enough) bums me out, mainly because two years ago I was super skinny and thought I had battled high blood sugar and won, when in fact, my HBS was a symptom of something bigger (which also included a bout of hyperthyroidism), and the weight loss I experienced then was actually the result of strong meds plus a spazzing thyroid. I've been grappling with that, with how great I looked while my body was suffering - and I thought I was on the road to wellness! It's now, two years after that, that I finally understand what's been up with my body and have been taking care of it (in essence, Leaky Gut Syndrome, which whacked out my immune system, compromising my blood sugar, thyroid, joints and digestive system.), and I'm really only at the beginning of this process. The huge dietary changes have been slow-going, though it's getting easier, but at the very least, the vitamin/supplement regimen I've had to get on has really turned things around for me.

Still, I understand that age can make it harder to maintain an ideal weight, and being a year older really doesn't help my feelings. While part of me feels curvy and sensual and hot, another part of me is like, "come on, woman, you have 10 lbs of pudge to drop!" So this crap is weighing on me, plus that wretched biological clock of mine, and so, I'm feeling this 34 a little harder than I would like to.

Ay. Anyway. I'm being way too angsty on my special day. I have to work today, though I'm hoping for an easy day (that I may have totally just jinxed). Tonight, dinner with the family, and then I have a few days of Jevo-planned festivities. Max already gave me an awesome painting he did for me, and he's been wishing me a Happy Birthday for days now.

Really, if I stop being so morose for two minutes, I can see that 34 has already gotten off to a good start.


Max Birthday Love, mixed media, 2011

Labels: ,



Posted by Tere @ 7/28/2011   | |

6 Comments

  • Anonymous Patricia Richardson posted at 7/28/2011 7:18 AM  
    Happy birthday, Tere! We'd like to share some crafty ideas for birthday greeting cards. Hover on to http://www.teardropweddings.com/products/greeting-cards?pagesize=21&s=rating

    :o)
  • Blogger Nicole posted at 7/28/2011 10:11 AM  
    Tere - You are fabulous! Embrace 34 - b/c next year.. you enter a new box. Seriously. A few days after I turned 35, I joined WW (imagine that..) and I went to check my age category... I was in the 35 - 44 group and I literally let out a yelp in the WW lobby. People looked at me like I was crazy. I thought - Holy sh*t, I'm middle aged!
  • Blogger Freckle Face Girl posted at 7/28/2011 2:28 PM  
    Happy Birthday Tere! I'd love to be 34 again! You're young & a hottie with a cute son. What more could you ask for?
  • Anonymous Happy Birthday! posted at 7/28/2011 3:04 PM  
    Happy Birthday!
    34? You're still a young 'un.
    I just hit 43 and still refuse to feel old. (although in the last 3 yrs my waistline isn't agreeing with me on that)
    The way I figure, I plan on living til about 90, so I have another 2 years til 'middle" age.
  • Blogger Tere posted at 7/31/2011 10:36 PM  
    Thanks, everyone! (though Nicole, girl, you depressed me! lol)
  • Blogger shail singh posted at 8/26/2011 7:42 AM  
    nice 1 i just like your blog so much :)


    http://www.almondzhotel.com
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link