Friday, July 15, 2011

Summerness

This was supposed to be the Summer of Tere Catching Up. It is, instead, turning out to be the Summer of Tere Almost-But-Not-Quite Catching Up, Kinda Sorta.

I've been pretty good about tackling the eternal mess that is my house, and I've been reading voraciously. I've got my bills and correspondence in order and no major issues to tackle (though I still have to tell y'all about the health odyssey I've been on). So I should be good, right?

Almost. I haven't been able to write here as much as I've wanted to, and my current draft pile is about a dozen posts deep (not counting the 70 others that have built up over the years), of which maybe four will see the light of day. I've been "too busy/exhausted to write" for like two years now, but this is a different kind of busy. I've got this long to-do list of things that must get done this summer and the looming deadline has me going going going at a time when I want to be relaxing relaxing relaxing (which includes writing).

I'm running against some big things: Max starts Kindergarten and a new school, and there's been prep work for that. And I don't just mean buying stuff and talking to him about "big boy school"; I've been running my home like a mix of camp and school, which means I drill him in math, spelling or reading every day. It's not about being Kindergarten-ready for me (because judging by the work we're doing with workbooks I have a feeling this kid is past the kindergarten level already), it's about keeping him in school mode and keeping that brain of his focused on these important things. Otherwise, our homelife is currently like a structured camp, where we do a lot of playing and staying up "late" but fill the time with activities. We've been in the pool so much this summer I'm about to start peeing chlorine.

There's also my own schooling. When Max starts Kinder, I go back to grad school, which will surely kick my ass. I love love love my field of study but this degree becomes ever more useless the closer I get to it. I had this awesome Plan B as layoff loomed two years ago, with me getting a graduate degree in a field I'm passionate (but not professionally knowledgeable) about and changing careers into something exciting and complex and I would kick ass and live happily ever after, and all was good until I got this great job (in my current field, not the new, totally unrelated one) that I love and have no intention of leaving. I'm getting that degree come hell or high water, though, and so it's just extra work for me (not just time and commitment-wise, but also, like, brain-wise, because this is a totally new area of study for me, and I have to work harder than all the other students who either have their BS in the field or work in it).

There are more things, changes afoot in my relationship (all good and magical) with Jevo, changes to the house. Etc. and all that.

All this to say, I'm being all kinds of active and non-lazy and my health is on track toward awesomeness, and yet, I fall short here. Which sucks because I love the stuff I've been working on and want to see it done and out here. But see, that's the thing about loving the stuff so much: it makes me ridiculously obsessive about the words I use, the phrases, paragraph structure. I don't just want to spew stuff out, people, I want to be lyrical about it.

So I'm just gonna keep riding this strangely productive wave I've got going because it feels really neat and is giving me results, and meanwhile, this is turning out to be a really cool summer and it's all good here, and I'm just gonna shut up now before I jinx myself and ruin everything.

Labels: , ,



Posted by Tere @ 7/15/2011   | |

2 Comments

  • Blogger NellieGirl posted at 7/15/2011 11:34 PM  
    Good for you for going back to school! That's something I have been talking about doing for months...ok years...and I always seem to find an excuse not to. I hope you continue to kick this summer's ass!
  • Blogger Tere posted at 7/28/2011 10:17 AM  
    Ha, thanks! The school thing is a hell of a commitment, but once you're in, you're in!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link