Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Baby, It's a...

Yesterday was one heck of an eventful day. My sister and brother-in-law threw us a wonderful brunch so that with our family and close friends we could find out Baby F's sex.

They had me do some of the old-wives' tricks to divine the sex. I unwittingly sat on a chair under which there was a knife, which in Cuban folklore means you're having in a boy. Then I tied a ring on a string and held it in front of my belly, and it moved in a circular motion, which means... a boy.

I didn't know how the actual reveal would happen and kept thinking I'd bite into a croissant and discover a little pink or blue plastic baby, but finally, my sister brought out a piƱata, one side decorated in pink, the other in blue. By now I'd been yammering on for over an hour about how sure I was about this baby being a girl and was about to explode if I didn't find out, like, NOW, what it actually was.

So what is it? Is my Baby F a girl or a boy?

Let's review the tape:



I crack up every time I see this video, and I've seen it like 50 times now. I'm pretty sure that's me (for reference, I'm on the right in a purplish blue top and Jevo's on the left in an aqua top) yelling, "OOHH NOOO," and there's really no mistaking my utter shock, because that's exactly what I felt, very much so.

What the video doesn't capture is that my eyes instantly filled with tears as Baby F very suddenly became insanely real and wonderful and amazing to me. I'd so completely accepted that I was having a girl that I'd just not imagined, not at all, that I could in fact be carrying a boy. And yet, three seconds after finding out, I loved that baby a million times more and was already praying for a continued healthy pregnancy, a healthy labor and most important of all, a healthy baby.

A boy. I'm having a boy. We will be parents to two sons. Max is thrilled, even though he'd said he was "dying for a baby sister." After things had quieted down I asked him how he felt to know it'd be a brother, not a sister, and he said, "I'm so happy my heart feels like it's going to explode with love." 

Could I ask for anything more?

Labels: ,



Posted by Tere @ 9/23/2012   | |

6 Comments

  • Blogger clau posted at 9/23/2012 11:50 AM  
    Ok, so seeing the video and reading what the monkey said filled my eyes with tears...how sweet is that. Congrats to all! Can't wait for baby boy to arrive.
  • Blogger Emily Vogel posted at 9/23/2012 12:45 PM  
    Congrats to you!!!
  • Blogger Freckle Face Girl posted at 9/23/2012 10:26 PM  
    So Thrilling! What a fun way to find out! He'll make a grand addition to your family.
  • Blogger Maria Northcutt posted at 9/24/2012 2:09 AM  
    Congrats on your Baby and a beautiful blog!!!
  • Anonymous Rania posted at 10/11/2012 5:30 AM  
    I loved your blog, it's so touching to see your whole family organizing all that fun to know the baby's sex... And the most beautiful part was that you stopped for a moment and thought that the most important thing is for the baby to be healthy...
  • Anonymous Jo-Ann posted at 12/05/2012 3:33 PM  
    Congrats, that is a big blessing from God to have a child or children of our own. Hope I will have one next year.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link