Monday, September 17, 2012

The Baby's Gender is Known, but Not by Me

In five days, we'll know Baby F's gender. We did an ultrasound today, and the tech told us he could see the gender clearly. We had him seal the image with ID in an envelope, and Saturday, at a family brunch, my brother-in-law will reveal to us all what the baby is. I'm excited to find out, mainly because I can NOT wait any longer to buy baby things. It's been torture to see so many cute things and not be able to buy anything! It's also pretty amazing how very little there is available in neutral themes or colors; I'm convinced that in the seven-and-a-half years since my last pregnancy, infant clothing and accessories have become ever more genderized.

More than this, knowing what Baby F is will make him/her more real to me. When I began to feel him/her move last week, I was floored and giddy and awed, thinking (yet again), "wow, this is real." This is just another piece of that. At the appointment today, when the tech confirmed that he knew the gender, I choked up and blinked back tears, overwhelmed (yet again) by the awesomeness of all this. Watching that baby move and wiggle and knowing that it was actually a he or she now, it was almost too much to bear. Jevo and I held hands and smiled at each other, making it all such a perfectly sweet, cheesy scene that I just didn't know what to do with myself.

This kid is ever more human and real to me now, and my thoughts are moving now to more concrete things, about what this baby will look like and what his or her personality will be like and how we will parent him or her, especially if it's a girl, since we have no experience with that. I am slightly terrified of having a girl, but I won't get into that unless it turns out to be a girl.

But - let the record show, I think I'm having a girl. This is a girl belly, and for whatever reason, I have just had this very strong feeling ever since I was about eight or nine weeks along. I could be wrong, and that will be fine, this is feeling is very strong.

So now, we'll see what happens Saturday, what we discover about our tiny, thriving Baby F.

Labels: ,



Posted by Tere @ 9/17/2012   | |

2 Comments

  • Blogger Mary Gilmour posted at 9/17/2012 9:54 PM  
    I know what you mean about the baby clothes. Small kids' outfits, ditto.

    I loved raising girls, so I would recommend it. However, you are already doing a fine job with a boy, so a son might be more relaxing. One thing, girls do not pee in your eye.

    Looking forward to finding out, big time.

    Hugs!
    m
  • Blogger Freckle Face Girl posted at 9/17/2012 10:03 PM  
    I think you are having a girl too, but either way it is very exciting!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home

    Create a Link